If you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table, then you are the sucker.
They say poker is not about playing cards, it is about playing your opponent. Alright, granted. But you still need to have cards, right? I never really understood what that is supposed to mean. How am I supposed to play my opponent while I am holding a two of spades and a seven of diamonds and (s)he raises 50 pre-flop on 10-20 blinds. Here is how I do it: I FOLD!!
I reckon life is sort of a poker game as well, Texas Hold'em. You are dealt two cards, your ability and your situation. Then you start betting, "playing" your opponents. Then community cards open, one by one. You keep playing your opponents. You win some (crack that deal with a client, get that promotion, run a marathon), you lose some (lose money in stocks, boss is pissed over a report you submitted, injury doesn't allow you to walk). You slowly get good at it.
Then you bet large, and you double your bankroll. You bet larger next time and crash down. The game keeps going, good or bad, you are always dealt a new set of hole cards. Whether you call, fold or re-raise depends on your style of play, but you have to keep playing. Just remember: you can't lose what you don't put in the middle... but you don't win much either.
They say poker is not about playing cards, it is about playing your opponent. Alright, granted. But you still need to have cards, right? I never really understood what that is supposed to mean. How am I supposed to play my opponent while I am holding a two of spades and a seven of diamonds and (s)he raises 50 pre-flop on 10-20 blinds. Here is how I do it: I FOLD!!
I reckon life is sort of a poker game as well, Texas Hold'em. You are dealt two cards, your ability and your situation. Then you start betting, "playing" your opponents. Then community cards open, one by one. You keep playing your opponents. You win some (crack that deal with a client, get that promotion, run a marathon), you lose some (lose money in stocks, boss is pissed over a report you submitted, injury doesn't allow you to walk). You slowly get good at it.
Then you bet large, and you double your bankroll. You bet larger next time and crash down. The game keeps going, good or bad, you are always dealt a new set of hole cards. Whether you call, fold or re-raise depends on your style of play, but you have to keep playing. Just remember: you can't lose what you don't put in the middle... but you don't win much either.
I'm sure that's what Yudhishthir was telling himself ;)
ReplyDeleteLoL.. u think the writing style of this post is similar to my other posts?
DeleteIt's not too different. Why? Did your better half write this? ;)
ReplyDeleteOn the job training :P
Delete