Even after the emancipation and feminism waves; they continue to be the adornments of men around them.
What do emancipated women think about other women? I think there is less feeling of solidarity than could be. I think we look down on those who are less lucky. We forget that our own fortune has mainly resulted from a wild streak of luck.
Dont get me wrong; i am a feminist of the "no discrimination" sort. I dont want special rights or status (based on gender). I would like a meritorius society.
But what did women in india do to achieve their emancipated status? We just shamed the men into following the west; which they are generally inclined to do anyways.
We havent changed in much though. You will find that out after marriage. All your achievements vanish and the only qualifying parameter of your success in life becomes whether you are a mother or not. If u are then everything else is recognized, if u are not then you are "incomplete"
I guess that's because not everyone around us actually believes in gender equality or individualism. The same people would probably also think that your marital status is a parameter of success in life. They're very surprised to meet someone who isn't married, but still happy, and completely unconcerned about timelines :P
ReplyDeleteHow can someone not believe in individualism !! It is very difficult for me to believe.
ReplyDeleteAlso, most people who judge you are not guys, they are women !! As in talking about the people around you..